Ice Dam Removal Services
Call Us for Ice Dam Removal in Richmond, MN
What is an Ice Dam?
Though charming to look at, those icicles hanging from your roof may be causing a lot of damage to your home and property. Referred to as ice dams, these icicles form when heat escapes through your home’s attic, melting the snow on your roof from the bottom up. Insulated by the snow above it, water travels along your shingles and refreezes when it reaches the cold air on your roof’s overhang, forming a dam that prevents the water behind it from trickling off the roof. With nowhere to go, water backs up beneath roofing materials and seeps through ceilings, down walls, and into floors, damaging shingles, wood, drywall, carpets and more.
Stop Ice Dams Before They Start
Preventative measures should be taken to avoid the formation of ice dams on your roof, including:
- Add flashing around your chimney.
- Check that your attic is properly insulated.
- Ensure your home is properly ventilated via eaves and ridge cap.
- Seal areas around vent pipes, electrical conduit, etc.
- Have your home’s heating and cooling system checked regularly.